I know some of you may be wondering how we went from "I am going to try to sleep now, so hopefully no more updates tonight" to Jackson being born an hour and a half later. Things have finally settled down, so here it is.
At the time of the "going to sleep" post there were no real issues. She got the epidural and Jackson's heart rate dropped. This was the second time this happened so this was a little cause for concern. Another caveat is that he was not descended, and with Allison's water broken, there was a risk that the cord could come first which would obviously not be good. Taking all this into consideration, the doctor decided it would be best to go ahead and deliver Jackson by C-section since he was not handling the strain of labor very well. This all happened in a little bit of a whirlwind. I was dozing off to sleep and I heard "cesarean" being tossed around so I perked up and got the scoop. They wheeled her into the OR and got her prepped while I put on scrubs and got the camera ready.
The whole procedure didn't take very long at all. Before we knew it, the doctor said that we were about to hear Jackson crying. A few seconds later, there he was. They immediately took him to the scale and cleaned him off, took his footprints, and weighed him. Then I got to hold him for a little while during the time they were finishing up on Allison. I got some good pictures and had the nurse take one of the three of us. When I get home and have a chance to pull them off the camera, I will share those photos. The one thing I really liked about the process (all things considered) is that I got to hold him for a good long while immediately after he was born. Any time something needed to be done where Allison couldn't hold him, I got to instead of putting him in a bassinet.
Jackson got high marks from his pediatrician. His Apgar was 8/9, and "he looks great".
Allison and Jackson are doing great. She is a little sore from the surgery, but other than that...all is well. And, if I may say so, she looks dang good for just having given birth. :)
Monday, November 2, 2009
The story of how it all went down
Posted by Jonathan Green at 1:48 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment