I will start with the bad news. Allison's car got keyed last week while we were at lunch.
She thinks she knows who did it. And by "know" I mean that it was a stranger that she encountered before going inside the restaurant. The short version is this... Allison was idling waiting for a spot to open up while this other car was zooming around frantically. A woman comes to get in her car and leave (in front of where Allison is idling) and the zoomer comes over to snag the spot. The zoomer saw Allison and looked irritated as if Allison was "stealing" the spot. Allison was going to let the zoomer have the spot, but the woman took too long and the zoomer zoomed away. Allison ended up parking there because no one else was around to take it. She saw the passenger of the zoomer car and thinks that person did it. But we will never know.
Next, the "no news". Allison went to the doctor today to get tested for gestational diabetes. The results won't be ready until Monday, so we have no news as of right now.
Now the good news. We made some purchases. :)
Below is the crib we bought. It's a Muniré brand called Newport.
You might read/hear that this crib was recalled by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, but it was only for the model with rubbed black paint. We ordered the one in cherry, so we are good to go without issues. It should be delivered in about 6 weeks.
To go along with the crib, we got a glider (rocking chair) and an ottoman.
The above picture is of the style, not the color. We decided to go neutral in color (a kind of khaki color called "flax") so it can match a variety of colors should we decide to move it to the living room at some point, or whenever (and this is a long ways off) we have a second baby with a potentially different bedding color scheme. Again, this will come with the crib in about 6 weeks.
We also got some bedding. We got it from Pottery Barn Kids.
It's called Dr. Seuss, but the only Dr. Seuss thing about it is the crib sheet, which Allison and I don't like. We like the bright primary colors, so we are going to use the bumper and the blanket with maybe a plain white sheet or something else.
On the non-baby-related purchases (at least not directly), we got a new computer last night. The one that we were using was pretty old by computer standards. Allison had it since before we were married so it was over 5 years old. It was running really slow and the hard drive was not very big. It was just time to upgrade and get something to accommodate all the stuff we are going to be doing with it with having a new baby (video editing, photographs, emailing, etc.).
I did my homework and decided that a Gateway was the best way to go. It was highly rated and had the features I was looking for at the best price. We even got a new widescreen LCD monitor to go along with the older monitor we already had. Now, Allison can work from home using two monitors.
I was able to make this purchase using money that I have recently made in the stock market. I opened a Scottrade account last November and started purchasing stocks. I haven't bought any since March and have yet to actually make a sale and cash out...I am holding on to them for a while for at least a year so I won't have short term capital gains. My overall return (since November) is about 110%. Which means I have a little more than doubled the money that I put in my account. Not too bad, eh? I guess it was pretty easy to do when I got in at the lowest points on a lot of the stocks I invested in. Celanese, Citibank, and Sirius XM Radio have been my big winners. Allison will be quick to tell you that the money is still unrealized since I didn't cash out, but it has been earmarked to go towards the computer whenever I do decide it's time to sell. It's got to stay in there so I can make even more money to offset the beating Obama is going to give us over the next few years. But that is something I don't want to get into here. :)
Thursday, August 20, 2009
Good news / Bad news / No news scenario
Posted by Jonathan Green at 2:43 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment