This is another post just a little while after my previous one, but I had to share.
I play softball on a team sponsored by my firm, BDO Seidman. It's a coed team with a bunch of accountants, so you can probably imagine the overall talent level. Now, this is my blog, so I am going to brag. I am probably one of the best overall players on the team. Yeah, I said it. You might think that's cocky or arrogant, but if Tiger Woods said he is one of the best golfers on the planet...would that be arrogant? Nope. Just stating the facts. :)
Anyhoo...
I was playing outfield (left-center field to be exact) and I made a spectacular diving catch and I wanted to talk about it. After watching the girl in left field at practice, I knew she has a tendency to run up too far and let the ball go over her head. So when this guy hit a fly ball to left, I hustled over behind her and made the catch after she had run in too far. I covered a lot of ground and had to slide to catch it. I chose number 32 in honor of Josh "Smash" Hamilton, the stud center fielder for the Texas Rangers, and I would like to think I did him proud with that play. As a result, I scraped up my leg pretty good. I got a huge strawberry on the front/side of my calf. Here is a picture of my leg. But it was all worth it to hear everyone on my team cheering for me, and to hear applause from the other team as a sign of respect and admiration. I also threw out a runner at third earlier in the game. To top it off, I had a triple and two doubles at the plate. All in all a pretty good day. My team named me player of the game and bestowed upon me the Seides Award (our own little MVP-type title). Unfortunately, it was all in a losing effort. We lost 12-7.
And just so you don't think my ego is far too big, here is an offsetting story from Monday night. I played softball with some buddies of mine on a men's team and I was 0 for 2 (I batted only twice and played the whole game) and not only that, both outs were to end the inning and one was a double play. I also misjudged a ball in the outfield and let it drop in front of me. Needless to say, it was a bit of an off night for me.
I just love to play softball.
Thursday, March 19, 2009
Softball
Posted by Jonathan Green at 9:20 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment